Carbing a 4ZE1 2.6L conversion. (4ZD1 2.3L too)

Engine related articles specific to induction (carby, EFI etc.)
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Carbing a 4ZE1 2.6L conversion. (4ZD1 2.3L too)

Post by Rodeobob »

This has been asked a bit over the years.
Heres everything you ever wanted to know and heaps of stuff you didnt want to know.
Its not difficult to but it will depend if you need a mechanical fuel pump and what manifold and carby you want to use.

Problem one
The 2.3L and 2.6L heads both have the same machining done to the head at the factory to allow for a mechanical fuel pump to bolt up below the carby/manifold. These holes need to be covered over. Upper right is for the actuation push rod the lower left joins into an oil to drain back to the sump.

Thanks to PSIGEM for the above pics.

Heres a pic with no cam on the head with a bit of wire up thru the actuation pushrod hole.

On the 2.6L motor the EFI manifold is shaped to cover the area over, the holes are there but they are not used.

First option
Heres the manifold from a 2.3L with the fuel pump and carby still mounted. You could fit this, carby and all.

Heres the spot on the 2.3l manifold that the fuel pump bolts to. Its part of the manifold. The manifold gasket seals the mounting face on the head. You could omit the fuel pump and make up a cover plate. (this is on my ute, its fitted with a 4ZB1 Shuttle motor all Shuttles ran electric fuel pumps as did the Piazza so the passages were not needed.)

Heres the pump that bolts to the manifold. (its upside down)

You could use a manifold off a 2L Shuttle to omit the fuel pump, it is shaped in a similar manner but its not really suitable due to the channel in the mounting face (more about that later).

Second option
Use some sort of liquid metal or knead it to cover the holes up. You could tap and plug the one up to the camshaft for the push rod.
Once the holes are plugged you can use almost any manifold.

Problem two
The E1 runners measure 36mm in diameter. The G161Z pre EGR manifold i have here measures in at just under 31mm.

I measured what i had here just roughly with the verniers. Well rough is all you can do, due to the casting they arent 100% round.

4ZE1 - 36mm and nothing else really comes close.
G161Z - 31mm
4ZC1 - 31.5mm Noo good for porting with the groove in the mounting face.
4ZD1 - 32mm There are a couple of casting lugs in 2 & 3 runners. Part of the casting for the fuel pump mounting studs.

I do have this here

Single side draft Weber/Delorto/Solex Lynx manifold and it measures about 33mm. It hasnt been ported but has heaps of meat to match port with.

I will post up a bit more info when i find out a bit more about the 2.3L Nikki carb and how it compares to the Gemini one.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
tidytx77

Post by tidytx77 »

hey jsut wondering if you decide to carby a 2.6 that originally had efi on it what do you do with the dizzy? is it an electronic dizzy in the efi motors?? does the g161z dizzy fit in???
any help would be appreciated
When The Clutch Drops...
The bulls*#t Stops
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Yeah good question.

You need to find a dizzy out of a 2L Shuttle bus or a 2.3L Jackaroo/Rodeo, they are a direct fit. Take not of the way the wiring works. If you hook it up wrong you will blow up the pickups in the dizzy.

The 1.8L Shuttle dizzy wont fit (without making an adapter collar) and neither will a Gemini one as its is totally different.

Cheers, Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
rayman
n00b

Post by rayman »

Rodeobob wrote:Yeah good question.

You need to find a dizzy out of a 2L Shuttle bus or a 2.3L Jackaroo/Rodeo, they are a direct fit. Take not of the way the wiring works. If you hook it up wrong you will blow up the pickups in the dizzy.

The 1.8L Shuttle dizzy wont fit (without making an adapter collar) and neither will a Gemini one as its is totally different.

Cheers, Bob.
hi bob ive got my kb rodeo finished with a 4ze1 carby. gemini 5 speed gearbox and heavy duty clutch. on a 4z flywheel it goes realy well. but i have to clutch it every time i wont to go out. ive killed 1 gemini starter and the second on its way already. any surgestions would be a big help cheers ray
tyrannas TG

Post by tyrannas TG »

hey, im doing this exact conversion in my tg. i have currently rebuilt the 4ze1, cut the lip off the firewall, just pulled out my inlet manifold on the 161 to see if it fits. biggest prob i've noticed is the heater hose will hit the dizzy unless you cut it back a bit so the hose goes over the dizzy. i have blocked up those holes in between 2 and 3 with some sealant from work. i took the egr thing off the bottom on the 161 manifold and blocked that up too. i got templates for all the bits i need like the engine mount spacers, remote shifter adapter and blower box block off plates so i can get them made up at work next week. i also have a complete 4zd1 engine that was originally going to go in. it came in handy for the dizzy and a few other bits too. one last thing i did that i havent heard anyone else mention is i fitted the 4zd1 water pump (a little bit of epoxy sealer helped) then i fitted the 4zd1 water pump pulley (spacer needed), idea behind that is just to bring the fan back a couple inches (i'll fit a thermo one day). enough raving on, i have done a few other little things like that, once i have completely installed it, i will post up, i have been taking heaps of photo's too.
josh
Shane 04
n00b

Re: Carbing a 4ZE1 2.6L conversion. (4ZD1 2.3L too)

Post by Shane 04 »

Just wondering I have a 94 rodeo with Efi injection just wondering if it would fit on my 1.6 gemini motor thank you