MCM Inspired DIY Gemini Series - Ideas/Thoughts

This Forums is here for off topic discussion.. Please keep it partially relevant to the site.. we don’t really need to know what u had for breakfast..
Hachikansai77
Regular

MCM Inspired DIY Gemini Series - Ideas/Thoughts

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Hey guys, been having thoughts about this for a while now, but if you're on my friends list on facespace you'll know I put this up last night...

So anyway, since I've got a quite a lot of capture gear now (Drift HD, DV, and will be getting a Canon SLR on the weekend) I was thinking of starting a youtube series a bit like Mighty Car Mods, only Gemini based.
Basically doing videos of common, and not so common, mods and work that we like to do to our cars. Starting with the basics (Weber, cam, head gasket etc) and moving up to things like EFI, disc rear end, maybe even cleaning up the G200W conversion on the Coupe and using that as a "base" for conversions in general.

Also would do special episodes. Local cruises here in SA (once we get them up and going again), features on local cars, and a Geminats episode even ;)

This is the rough idea:

Weber DGV conversion
Fitting a cam, extractors
Fitting springs, Shocks, Swaybars etc
Changing a head gasket (and more in depth G series stuff)
Rust finding/repairs. Pointing out common spots and what to look for when buying one
Interior/Exterior strip and refit
EFI conversion, possibly turbo as well
Torque tube rubber repair (Sikaflex and Trent HD repair as I have both to do)
Auto-Manual Conversion
N13 etc alternator upgrade
Electronic ignition, dizzy recon/recurve
TE/TF/TG lights conversion, indicators etc
Bigger brakes, and disc rear end
Radiator upgrade, thermo fan install
Remote Shifter install
Gilmer Drive install
Sealed beam to H4 conversion
Gearbox rebuild
Basic G series rebuild
Head porting
Double row timing chain install
Respraying
Speaker install (without hacking door trims!)
"How to build a drift Gem"

Anyone got any other ideas for what they'd like to see? This won't happen for a while, as I need to focus on finishing my diesel build so I'll have a car for 'nats, but after that I reckon I'll start seriously looking into doing it.
My TD would be the donor for a lot of the vids, as I'm doing most of the mods I have planned to it, and anything else I'm pretty sure I could either do to a donor car or to the Coupe.

Cheers,
Ethan
Last edited by Hachikansai77 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"
TX Coupe "Zero": Longterm Zokusha/Drift Build.
TE Diesel Sedan: Turbo Sandpiper II Mockup (In Progress)
TE Sedan "Bella": Basic Battle Bitch
Hilux: Daily

TL;DR: STOP OFFERING ME GEMINIS!!!
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

Sounds like a great idea! :)
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

Awesome idea...

Remote shifter might be another,
Thats Right Im a Long Term Member
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
IF YOU WANNA FLY, GIVE IT MORE P.S.I 8)
crazy
Regular

Post by crazy »

sounds like a good idea, i would start with all the basic stuff so that some of the noobs or not so mechanical people can learn how to do things themselves, if your keen a complete engine rebuild would be good, also if you know anyone who can rebuild gearboxes doing a how to video on that would be awsome

all the conversion stuff would be good to like you mentioned but also if people have ideas on electircal conversions eg sealed beam headlights to replaceable,

reading it in a million word how to guide is onething but actually being able to see it being done and getting some pointers is another. besure to explain things as you go eg: this is an inlet valve (points to) this is and exhaust valve (point to) the differences are ........
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

Added a few more to the list.

I do plan on doing a couple of full engine rebuilds soon, one NA G180Z with twin IDFs, and a forged EFI G180Z with big Garrett. Both would be good when I get around to them.

A good offshoot vid, since I still need to sort the relevant stuff on the Coupe, "how to build a drift Gem" :lol:

I am planning on rebuilding a 5 speed I have here at some point as well, so if I don't completely f**k it up it would be filmed and added in.

Yeah will definitely be thorough with it, I always am :)
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

I'm happy to help make my own films for you if you want.

Episode 3.
Working out you've spent way to much on the car and probably should have paid off the house.

Episode 4.
c*#t doesn't work I'm setting it on fire.

It's probably within the 10min limit of youtube to so everyone wins.

Let me know bro

Oh and get that turbo wiz from Melbourne in on it to :wink:
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
rotagem
Regular

Post by rotagem »

firebug wrote:Sounds like a great idea! :)
x2 man good idea!!
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

jonno , it you post more than 15 vids they increase your time.

When the new phpbb3 forums kicks in , you'll be able to embed them with the site for ease of viewing.

I could do a simple bodywork vid on how to fix shopping trolley dents , from start to finish ( if i can find motivation )
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

I love this idea. Although I'd like to contribute, all I could really do is give more ideas.

how to lip your guards?
how to remove and replace doors?
how to fix wagon/pano window regs
how to rebuild TG headlights (I haven't personally done this yet, but i will)
Maybe the ins and outs of standard air conditioning?
how to fit bonnet struts ( heaps of different ways of doing it)
fitting an ebay alloy radiator
wiring up fans, headlight relays etc..
how to fit VT-VZ front power windows into a gemini sedan (i've been running around with one power window in my car for months now :lol: )

Little random things to show people to fill time:
VL commodore radiator shroud to fit standard radiator
VT-VZ wagon windscreen wipers
XD-XF wagon rear retractable seat belts

I'll think of more hopefully helpful things later.... :lol:
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
DrewZa86
Regular

Post by DrewZa86 »

stock_gem wrote: how to lip your guards?

The guard rolling is a must. Look forward to that. Same as bonnet struts.

I can contribute to the fan/lights/fog lights with a pictorial of how i did mine. Hopefully finished wiring this weekend.

As well as fitting aftermarket fan and thermo switches, as well as manual overrides for them aswell.

Food for thought.
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

im all for the vids guys, i can even do a couple,

the thing is with electrics, you will have to draw up a wiring diagram just to make it easier for the watchers to understand... Everyone does it a different way

I know this is just ideas swapping bck and forth but you might need to make a small comittee to make sure things are right, not scrutineering as such but im sure you guys get my idea similar to what we already have (Gemini Masters)

The electical diagrams I dont mind drawing up but just keep in mind some jobs are going to require more than just a vid on doing the job..

Just 2c I thought id share
Thats Right Im a Long Term Member
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
IF YOU WANNA FLY, GIVE IT MORE P.S.I 8)
sly380
Regular

Post by sly380 »

Ill be rebuilding a 5 speed soon maybe I could do a little film then u ca edit it and add the talking and stuff. I'm a bit camera shy
Here we go again😒
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

LOK15 wrote:When the new phpbb3 forums kicks in , you'll be able to embed them with the site for ease of viewing.
Liking this, would make things an awful lot easier.
stock_gem wrote:I love this idea. Although I'd like to contribute, all I could really do is give more ideas.

how to lip your guards?
how to remove and replace doors?
how to fix wagon/pano window regs
how to rebuild TG headlights (I haven't personally done this yet, but i will)
Maybe the ins and outs of standard air conditioning?
fitting an ebay alloy radiator
how to fit VT-VZ front power windows into a gemini sedan (i've been running around with one power window in my car for months now :lol: )

Little random things to show people to fill time:
VL commodore radiator shroud to fit standard radiator
VT-VZ wagon windscreen wipers
XD-XF wagon rear retractable seat belts

I'll think of more hopefully helpful things later.... :lol:
Good ideas, with the exception of wagon winder mechs, that can f**k RIGHT off :lol:
TURGEM wrote:I know this is just ideas swapping bck and forth but you might need to make a small comittee to make sure things are right, not scrutineering as such but im sure you guys get my idea similar to what we already have (Gemini Masters)
With respect, and while I do greatly appreciate the offers, I'm not really asking for anyone to contribute any of their own time to filming any videos for me (I feel like a c**t saying that). Only after any ideas for what they'd like to see me do on the cars myself.
If they want to do that themselves as their own how-to's that's perfectly fine, they're more than entitled to do that.

Sharing the job between multiple people, across multiple states, with different schedules/workloads/budgets/filming styles etc etc and filtering back through one person at post production would be a lot more difficult and take more effort on a professional level than just doing it myself with a few mates here. Like I said, pretty much everything I have in mind I will be doing anyway within the next year or two (or five...)
It'd actually also help motivate and inspire me on a personal level :)

I know that's sounds a bit douche-y for me to say, but it is a brainchild that I've had for a while now, but never thought to mention, and I'd like to do it my own way and with my own tools and skills, both filming and wrench wise.

This idea isn't a strict "Gregories" or "How to do this job and do it by the book" kind of thing. More of a balance between being informative, as well as fun and relaxed, like MCM does. Makes for more enjoyable viewing IMO, and makes it less of a chore for whoever is putting in the time and effort.
This would be something I'd be doing for you guys, but by no means would my way be exactly how you might do it depending on your level of know-how. It'd be as much for someone who has never laid a spanner to a Gem before (or cars for that matter) as to one of us die-hard enthusiasts.
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"

sly380
Regular

Post by sly380 »

I didn't want to help anyway :cry:
Here we go again😒
Hachikansai77
Regular

Post by Hachikansai77 »

sly380 wrote:I didn't want to help anyway :cry:
Like I said, I'm a c**t :lol:

Again, appreciate the offer immensely, and perhaps there can be exceptions to the rule depending on the job. It's more about consistency with filming quality and style, and more streamlined post-production, than me being selfish and wanting to do everything myself because it's "mine".
TD Sedan "Derrick/Dez"